Um . . . Ouch.





I'm basically an expert on injuring myself, and those are my qualifications to write this.  Anyway, this is inspired both by my talent (curse?  I'm not sure) and my realization that injuries are very genre-specific.  (For instance, fantasy is always the shoulder injury, or impalation, or an arrow to the knee.)

But fantasy, sci-fi, action, and crime/mystery are the only genres that I could think of when thinking about injuries in fiction.  So I decided to write a post about one question: where are the realistic injuries in contemporary fiction?  Because this is a really important question, and it's totally integral to good storywriting.  In all honesty, it was just bothering me.  So I wrote about it, of course.

It's really a two-part question, though.  First of all, why aren't there injuries?  And secondly, what is a realistic injury, anyway?  For that matter, why is this even important?

As to the first half, I have no idea.  I can give (first-hand!) input as to the second half, though.  But why does this matter?  Well, I have a few good reasons as to why we need injury representation in contemporary fiction.

1. It's realistic - people get injured on a pretty regular basis.
2. It's a good way to add obstacles for your characters.
3. I'm tired of graceful swan protagonists or the "clumsy" duckling sidekicks who never actually hurt themselves.
4. When you're injured and all you can do is read, wouldn't it be nice to see someone you can relate to?  (This totally isn't why I'm writing this post at all.  Of course not.  Ahem.)
5. Again, it's realistic, and it adds a touch of humanity to the characters.  Blood and pain are great ways of proving your character isn't invincible.

Convinced yet?  Good, good.  Then we can move on.


As to realistic injuries, I have good experience.  I have somehow managed not to break any bones - yet.  However, I've compiled a nice handy little list of common and uncommon injuries.  Most of these are either first- or second-hand.  Oh, and these could be used for other genres as well.  Anyone else think fantasy injuries are a bit . . . over the top?  Listen, I can barely move when I'm scraped up, how are you functioning with two arrows stuck in you?  But I digress.  Moving on!



A Short List of Realistic Contemporary Injuries (Not Comprehensive)

Broken bones - arm, leg, wrist, ankle, finger, tailbone, collarbone, and others.  Causes: quite a lot.  Sports (football, hockey, basketball, soccer,) stairs, tree climbing, car doors, trampolines, snowboarding, swing sets, and basically anything with a slight chance of falling or bodily contact.  Results: pain, immobility, nice place for autographs, and other fun things like that.

Cuts - can be almost anywhere.  Causes: anything even slightly sharp, such as paper, knives, or wooden swords.  Scissors and paint rollers are also very dangerous.  Results: some blood, fairly minor pain, bandage, care taken with affected body part, and intense pain if the wound comes in contact with hand sanitizer or vinegar.  (Be careful during chemistry, y'all.  Please.  I've done this so you don't have to.)

Scrapes - again, almost anywhere.  Causes: gravel, carpet, furniture corners, trees, and basically anything remotely sharp.  Results: tenderness for a bit, loss of a layer of skin, and an assurance that all sharp objects will aim for that area.

Bruises - anywhere you can think of.  And then some.  Elbows and knees are common, but feet can be stomped on to produce a similar result.  Causes: anything, including floors, corners, furniture, other people's elbows, tripping on the heels you're wearing for style, or falling.  Results: soreness, lovely colors on your skin, tenderness, and questions as to how you got it.

Abrasions - similar to scrapes, but more serious.  Often includes bleeding and the loss of several layers of skin.  Causes: bad rope or carpet burns, sliding over gravel, falling on asphalt, biking accidents, overzealous basketball teammates, and tree trunks.  Results: pain, pain, more pain, bandages and gauze pads for days, blood, pain, inability to put any sort of pressure on the affected area, and oftentimes a need to regularly clean the wound.  Oh, and pain, since I haven't mentioned that yet.

Well, that's all I can currently come up with.  Hopefully it's slightly helpful, if not, I hope it wasn't too annoying.  Anyway, I'll leave this one at injuries - but I'm thinking of doing one on illnesses too.

Would y'all like to read a post about being sick?  What do you think about injuries in contemporary fiction?  Any injuries you'd add to the list?  Tell me all the things.

Brianna


Comments

  1. As an actual person (surprised I'm not a robot, aren't you), and not involved in swordplay, star ship navigating, or detective work, I can say from experience that in common, everyday life injuries are prevalent, even among kids and teens. I agree--it's very unrealistic to write a contemporary novel without any injuries or illnesses. Another I would add to this list: burns. I happened to be involved in a fire when I was still quite young and I feel as if it's common enough to be included, as I know several other people who have been burned, also. Campfires, fire pits, kitchen fires, fire places, house fires, hot stoves--really, they can happen anywhere. Of course smoke inhalation and shock would go along with this, though I don't know that they're actually 'injuries', but whatever.


    Great post, Brianna!

    --Abilene

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. What? You're not a robot?? I am shocked!! :D But I totally agree that injury is a common part of life. And the only reason I didn't include burns is because I totally didn't think of that. My apologies - but you definitely did a better job covering it than I could. :) Hot stoves, especially, seem to be a source of injury. Or lefse griddles.

      Thanks! And thanks for your addition to the list!! It's nice to see you back around - I'm guessing your computer problems are fixed now. :D

      Brianna

      Delete
  2. This is a really good observation! Since I write, I'll have to keep this in mind.

    In a recent novella I published, a character of mine hurt his knee and tore his ACL at a soccer game (it's a fanfic based on the dystopian novel Legend). I had tore my ACL at a soccer game a long time ago, so it was easy to write about from personal experience. I'm about to write a chapter on another story where the character gets a scraped knee, but it's really a minor injury, so although I'm going to mention it, it's not like he's going to dwell on it.

    Something for writers to keep in mind though!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks! I'm glad it was helpful.

      That's a really good way to write injuries, though. Personal experience gives a very realistic perspective to the writing.

      Delete
  3. Unlikely unique post. Great idea of writing this kind of subject.

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

I appreciate your input!

Popular posts from this blog

Book Review - The Hobbit

Ordinary People, Extraordinary Stories

The Tag That Must Not Be Named