Book Review - The Hobbit




I'm starting out with a book that I know well (because, yikes, it's my first review!  *insert panic here*)  I've loved Tolkien's works ever since my mom read the Hobbit out loud to us when we were about nine or ten.  I then had the chance to watch a theatre production of the Hobbit, which was the best way ever to study the characters!  (Sidenote: I will not be mentioning the movies and their flaws.  It'd take too long.)  The best facet of Tolkien's work, in my opinion, is his talent for bringing characters and settings to vivid life.  The Hobbit is a classic example of the "untalented" character having a lot more to him than is first evident.  Bilbo Baggins is not a strong, perfect hero, but he is a realistic, relatable person (fine, hobbit.)  Gandalf is the wise shepherd who occasionally just can't stand the dwarves one moment longer.  And the dwarves?  They seem a little bit like a very large homeschooling family.  . . . 
Anyway, now that I've met my quota of controversial sayings, let's move on to the review.


Loved:
I adore the characters!  Even Gollum holds a special place in my heart.  All of the dwarves, even if they aren't extremely significant, have personality.  Of course, the Orcs, Wargs, and various assorted villains are rather one-dimensional, but we can't have it all.  Beorn makes up for any shallow characters, as do Thorin and Bilbo.  They're all so fussy and quirky and true to real life.  (I have a post on characters in the works right now, so stay tuned.)

The plot is amazing.  Tolkien gave the quest storyline a whole new twist, and the sundry difficulties along the way only make it realistically hard.

Finally, the setting is probably the best in fiction.  Throughout the story, the terrain shifts as the characters travel, provides obstacles, and becomes a character in its own right.  I can actually picture Middle-Earth, (not movie Middle-Earth!) and it's always consistently misty green for The Hobbit.  In Lord of the Rings, it gets very grey and foggy, but that's just me.  However, the entire world is so very realistic that it makes the book more inviting.

Hated:
Um, nothing!  Who's even putting this category up??!  They should be terribly ashamed of themselves.

Meh:
As I said earlier, the villains aren't as well-developed as they could be.  Also, the story can sometimes get a little long/slow.  My main gripe, though, is the ending.  I know it makes sense, but . . . I'm still wounded deep down.  (It's much better than the movie, though!)

Everything Else - A Summary:
Well, I'm rather biased toward this book, of course.  However, I am in total awe of Tolkien's genius with words and composition.  His works are a pleasure and a joy to read.  That said, I have heard people complain about them, saying things like: "There's too much description."  "It's too long."  "It's boring."  Obviously, Tolkien may not be for everyone, but they're entitled to hold their wrong opinions.   

Actually, I understand that people may not, for some odd reason, like The Hobbit or the three following books.  And that's okay.  Everyone has different tastes, but for fantasy lovers and avid readers, I could not recommend this more highly.  Happy reading!

Brianna

So, did you like it? 
What could I improve?
Have you ever read The Hobbit/Lord of the Rings?  Did you like them?  (The answer is yes.)

Comments

  1. This was a really good first review! :D

    The Hobbit is so amazing.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks! I'm still figuring things out. Glad you liked it!

      It is. Those people - they don't know what they're missing. :)

      Brianna

      Delete
  2. I loved reading your review!

    The Hobbit is one of my absolute favorite books! I actually got my own copy for Christmas this year!!

    Catherine
    catherinesrebellingmuse.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks so much! It's very encouraging to hear that.

      Mine too! I've loved it ever since my mom read it aloud to us. Oh, really? That's awesome! What does it look like?

      Brianna

      Delete
  3. I love The Hobbit!:) And your review is awesome.
    (Also side comment, there is a animated Hobbit too, which I love as much as Peter Jackson's version(s))
    -Quinley

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. First of all, I'm sorry I didn't reply sooner - I was out of town and unable to reply to comments. Thanks for your patience.
      I do too! It's really an amazing book. Thanks!
      You know, I think I've heard of that one, but I've never watched it. I'll have to get to it at some point, for sure. Much obliged for the recommendation.

      Brianna

      Delete
    2. You're welcome, It's alright I take a long time to respond to comments too (I always want to make sure what I say sounds perfect)
      -Quinley

      Delete
    3. It's hard! You don't want to be someone you aren't, but you also don't want to sound ridiculous or say the wrong thing. And then, of course, you have to watch out for spelling and grammar problems!! :D Thanks for being understanding.

      Brianna

      Delete
  4. Ah, yes, TOLKIEN!! The Hobbit is such a great book, and I agree with many of your sentiments!

    Something tells me the movies didn't live up to your expectations... :D I, for one, loved the LotR movies I've seen - haven't seen the third LotR movie or The Hobbit movies yet - but to each their own!

    Awesome review, Brianna! It's nice to meet you, and I really like your blog!!

    God bless,
    Lila - The Red-Hooded Writer

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes, he's amazing! I'm glad you liked the book - I can't believe some people don't. Oh well, people don't know what they're missing.

      Well, the LOTR movies are quite good, (LEGOLAS!!) but I didn't like what they did with The Hobbit movies. It felt too much like LOTR, and I don't think that's what The Hobbit should be like. So, it's definitely my personal opinion, but I don't think they did justice to The Hobbit. :(

      Thanks so much, and it's great to meet you too!

      Brianna

      Delete
    2. YESSSSS, LEGOLAS, AAAAHHH!!! *heart eyes*

      That makes sense. The Hobbit does have a different vibe from LotR. *nods* I'm even more interested to see what I think of the Hobbit movies now. :)

      Lila - The Red-Hooded Writer

      Delete
    3. *swoons* He's so amazing!! And maybe the reason I wanted to be an elf for so long . . .

      I thought the first Hobbit movie was pretty true to the book, but the others felt too cinematic, as thought they were just trying to remake LOTR. I hope you enjoy watching them, though. You'll have to tell me what you think!

      Brianna

      Delete
  5. "Obviously, Tolkien may not be for everyone, but they're entitled to hold their wrong opinions." xD

    Before the last two years, I'd never read any of Tolkien's works, but now I definitely see why The Hobbit's a classic. I'm not sure as to ten-year-old Christopher Tolkien's recommendation of it as perfect for 6-8 year-olds, though... xD (may not be remembering that correctly, but it's approximate?)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'm rather opinionated on this, if you couldn't tell. :D

      Yeah, I read them a little later too, but I'm glad I did. Personally, I don't think that 6-8 year-olds can fully appreciate it, (which isn't to say they shouldn't read it, I just don't think they'll get as much out of it) and it's a little frightening at points. To me, that sounds a lot like a ten-year-old saying "Well, the *little kids* might enjoy this one." XD Who knows?

      Thanks for stopping by!

      Brianna

      Delete
  6. HI Brianna,

    The best series! I have read the LOTH 12 times. As a young teen it was my escape when my parents were going through a divorce. However, as an adult they are rich stories that I thought the movies did a great job bringing more people in.
    Great review,

    Gary

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I think they're amazing. Wow, twelve times? That's impressive! I'm sorry you had to go through that, but I'm glad that you could find a way to escape for a while.
      Yes, every time I read them, I find something deeper - and I agree that the movies broadened their appeal by bringing in people who didn't know the series. (I still don't think the movies are quite as good as the books, though, but that's my opinion.)
      Thanks for commenting,

      Brianna

      Delete

Post a Comment

I appreciate your input!

Popular posts from this blog

The Tag That Must Not Be Named

Ordinary People, Extraordinary Stories