Top Ten Tuesday - I Don't Remember Colors




In honor of Independence Day, (aka the 4th of July, aka the holiday with the easiest date to remember,) the TTT linkup theme is . . . Books with Red, White, and Blue Covers!!

The thing is . . . I have less than no memory of what book covers look like, let alone what color they are.  I was reading a book earlier this afternoon, and I literally could not tell you what the color scheme was.  But enough about my life failures and problems.  After much consultation of my bookshelf and library account, I have come up with a list.  


 9: Blue



Murder on the Orient Express - Agatha Christie
In my humble opinion, this is the best of Christie's books.  The twist at the end is absolutely shocking, but the lead-up does give all the clues.  I'd also recommend the movie that came out last year - it was quite well-done.

 8: Red



The Memoirs of Sherlock Holmes - Arthur Conan Doyle
There's no bias attached to this one at all.  Especially considering that I was just in a production of Sherlock Holmes.  Ahem!  This is still one of my favorites Holmes collections, and will you look at that gorgeous cover?  I also love the backstory - this contains "The Final Problem," the story in which Conan Doyle tried to kill Holmes off in order to focus on writing other things.  The public protested, the Strand magazine begged, and Conan Doyle finally acquiesced due to needing money.  So Sherlock Holmes was resurrected, and Conan Doyle probably regretted it.  Writers, hmm? ^_^

7: Blue



On the Edge of the Dark Sea of Darkness - Andrew Peterson
I love this series (except the ending) and this book always causes me to laugh.  It's also one of the best portrayals of siblings and family I've ever read, not to mention Christian without being preachy.

6: Red, White, and Blue



Cinder - Marissa Meyer

Look at me finding a cover with all the colors!  Besides having one of the coolest covers, this book is also one of the best fairytale retellings I've ever read.  For a while, I put it off because of content concerns, but those ended up to be almost nonexistent.  And the idea of a cyborg Cinderella is just so cool!


5: Blue



The Phantom Tollbooth - Norton Juster

I love this book so much!  It's been a favorite of mine for years, and it's one of the most imaginative stories I've read.  Not to mention it has some amazing puns . . .  

4: Red and White


Scythe - Neal Shusterman 
Okay, so this book bears the honor of being recommended by me and all my siblings!  It was one of my more recent reads, and I found the storyworld and questions presented really intriguing.  Of course, there is a lot of death in the book, so a warning if that's not something you'd like to read.

3: Blue and White



The Little White Horse - Elizabeth Goudge 

Another one of my long-time favorites.  This book always reminds me a little bit of the Secret Garden, but with less annoying characters.  It has such a misty, moonlit feel to it, and it's a beautiful story.  And there's horses!

2: Blue and White



All the Crooked Saints - Maggie Stiefvater
I loved this one.  It was one of those rare books where I finished it, looked at the clock that read 1:30 am, and didn't regret anything.  Stiefvater is the master of quiet and meaningful books that stick with you for a long time afterwards, and her stories always make me think.  The theology isn't always exactly correct, but it's not as far off as I was expecting.

1: Red/White



Do Hard Things - Alex & Brett Harris/Christianity for Modern Pagans - Peter Kreeft
I couldn't pick between these two.  They're two of the best non-fiction books I've read in my life, and both are well worth buying for your bookshelf.  I'm sure most of y'all have read Do Hard Things, but it's always worth a re-read.  Christianity for Modern Pagans isn't as well known, but it's sheer amazingness.  Selections from Pascal's Pensees are followed by Peter Kreeft's reflections, interpretations, and expansions upon the snippet.  It's solid theology, brilliant apologetics, life-changing thoughts, and all-around mind blowing food for thought.  Absolutely worth the time - both of them.  I cannot possibly recommend them higher.  So go read them!!  

And that's it!  I actually do have ten books, if you're wondering, seeing as I doubled up on number one.  Just a disclaimer for my fellow perfectionists. ^_^ 


Comments

  1. Some lovely cover choices here!
    My TTT: https://jjbookblog.wordpress.com/2018/07/03/top-ten-tuesday-166/

    ReplyDelete
  2. Awesome book covers! I've read some, but not all of them. (Just now realizing that Cinder has a very patriotic cover, color-wise)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Aren't they? Cover designers must have so much. Which ones have you read? (I know, it totally surprised me!)

      Delete
  3. I haven't read Do Hard Things yet! *sobs* What am I doing with my life?!

    Also I'm planning to read the Wingfeather Saga very soon and I'm sooo excited. :D

    Great post!!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I got halfway through DO hard Things and never really finished it....

      Delete
    2. I don't know exactly, but I'm sure you're doing wonderful things! You should read Do Hard Things, though. :) It's really interesting, and I found it very inspirational.

      Yay! I hope you like it! :D

      Delete
  4. I actually have the whole sherlock holmes collection that has all his novels, and all the short stories also. Doyle is a really good writer. I love Sherlock Holmes books and short stories

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Nice! I have a partial collection, and I really want to get the full one at some point. He is a good writer! The stories are so intriguing.

      Delete
  5. I really want to, but I still haven't gotten to read Murder on the Orient Express. We do have Do Hard Things so during school I'm probably going to read it.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. That's too bad. :( Maybe you'll be able to read it this summer! You'll have to tell me what you think. Oh, I'd highly recommend Do Hard Things - it's a very good reminder for teens and young adults.

      Delete
  6. I love the cover for All the Crooked Saints!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I do too! It really goes well with the book, in my opinion.

      Delete
  7. Although I remember covers... color schemes don't really interest me all that much, so I tweaked my topic a little bit, but you found the covers anyway! I would like to read Scythe and Cinder out of the books you chose.

    My TTT: http://www.brookereviewsnsweeps.com/2018/07/reads-for-independence-day/

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'm glad you found a way to tailor your post to your interests! Those two are definitely good books.

      Delete
  8. Haha, I have the opposite problem. I remember the colors but not the title/author. That makes it really difficult to go to the store and find the book I want.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oh goodness, that would certainly make it difficult! At least you can try to find it by the color scheme, though.

      Delete
  9. I like the fourth of July theme also

    ReplyDelete
  10. I love this idea! And man, I REALLY need to read Murder on the Orient Express !! It keeps slipping my mind and I leave my library without it and just,,,,, whyy?!?!? XD

    Happy fourth! <3

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Why thank you! It wasn't mine. XD You do!! I don't know how to make something stick in your memory, though - maybe you need to write it on your hand or something? No idea. :D

      Thanks, and same to you! <3

      Delete
  11. I've read Do hard things for school. Yes! It is a great book for teens! - June

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

I appreciate your input!

Popular posts from this blog

Book Review - The Hobbit

The Tag That Must Not Be Named

Ordinary People, Extraordinary Stories