10 Great Obscure Books

10 Great Books by Brianna Stacyn


I always love the hidden gem - the book that no one else seems to know about, which you enthusiastically tell everyone to read.  Here's a list of ten books that I've loved, but that aren't as well-known.

10.  Peeled - Joan Bauer


I love this one because: A. It's about a girl who writes!  B. The senior citizens are hilarious.  C.  This quote alone: "No typos, either, but there was some unfortunate wording in a classified ad:
DOG FOR SALE - Eats anything and is particularly fond of children."



9.  The Thirty-Nine Steps - John Buchan 


This is a grown-up version of Tintin in some ways.  Think an epic chase across the English countryside, a terrifying omnipresent villain, and absolute sheer amazing spy story.


8.  The Rumpelstiltskin Problem - Vivian Vande Velde



If you, by any chance, enjoy fairytale retellings, do not miss this book!  Her hilarious take on Rumpelstiltskin is perfection throughout - there's an elf in one story.


7.  The Candymakers - Wendy Mass



A sweet book. 😊 My favorite part is the four-person POV, and the well-developed characters.


6.  Invitation - Harbingers Series, Cycle One - Frank Peretti, Bill Myers, Angela Hunt, Alton Gansky



A four author, multi-book undertaking which is absolutely stunning.  Christian suspenseful speculative fiction is an underused genre, I've come to believe.  The characters, though . . . 


5.  The Riddle-Master of Hed - Patricia McKillip


A very non-cliché fantasy.  Slow moving, but worth it.


4.  Swipe - Evan Angler 



Christian dystopian fiction.  If that hasn't convinced you to read it, I don't know what will.  How about great plot, exciting storyline, and wonderful pacing? 


3.  The Great and Terrible Quest - Margaret Lovett

(I have to apologize for the picture - it was the best one I could find.)


Another non-cliché fantasy, which is written with care and skill.  The characters are loveable (mostly) and the plot comes with some stunning twists.


2.  The Girl Who Could See - Kara Swanson


Read it for the cover!  Actually, this novella is worth reading for its inside, as well.  I sped through it, and I would totally recommend it to anyone.  My new favorite indie-published book!


1.  The Little White Horse - Elizabeth Goudge



My favorite classic (or should I say classic favorite?)  I read this one when I was quite young, and then forgot it for probably six or seven years.  However, I always was looking for the little bits I remembered.  And then I found it again!!  The setting is an English Manor in the 1800s, and the storyline is luscious.  There's actually a fair bit of action, too.  If you only read one book off this list, make it this one!  I cannot recommend it highly enough.

Have you read any of these?
Which one sounds most interesting?

Brianna

Comments

  1. Swipe sounds very interesting! I love Christian dystopia in all its varieties ^_^

    And I've read the Girl Who Could See! One of my favorite books!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It is! It's actually the first book in a Christian dystopian series, too. The entire series is super cool.

      Mine too! I couldn't put it down - literally! Unfortunately, because it's indie, not a whole lot of people (outside the blogging community :D ) know about it. I've tried to remedy that, but I can only tell my friends so many times. XD

      Thanks for stopping by!

      Brianna

      Delete
  2. You're right, I never have heard of any of these books. I'll have to check them out!

    Great post, Brianna!!

    Catherine
    catherinesrebellingmuse.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Well, I'm glad you could find them, then. Apparently I picked an appropriate title. :D

      Thanks!

      Brianna

      Delete
  3. Swipe is so good! I got my little brother hooked on it last year. XD

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oh my word, isn't it? That's hilarious! I actually got one of my siblings hooked on the series too. XD That's when you KNOW it's a great book, right? :D

      Brianna

      Delete
  4. The only one I've read from this list is Peeled by Joan Bauer. SUCH a fun story. :D

    More books I can't help but add to my TBR. *sigh* Thanks a lot, Brianna. xD

    Lila
    The Red-Hooded Writer

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Isn't it delightful? I had to stop after one quote, or I would have added the scene with the protesting senior citizens. XD

      *looks around innocently* Oops. Probably should have considered that. :D You're welcome! XD

      Brianna

      Delete
  5. I haven't read any from this list, which is kind of odd considering most of the books I've read are not very well known. I just finished the Door Within Trilogy, however, (which is an excellent Christian fantasy allegory) and in the back was an add for Swipe, which I'm DYING to read. Unfortunately, I have a ton on my to-read list above it....book nerd problems ;D If you're into Christian dystopian fiction, I highly recommend The Underground Zealot series. I've only read the first one (they don't have the rest at my library, sniff sniff) but the rest look really interesting and I'm sure you'd enjoy them.

    I'm going to have to add the rest of these to my to-read list now. And now back to my reading...

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Well, everyone has a different taste. Oh, the Door Within!!! I haven't read that series in forever, but I loved it so much!! Find time for Swipe - it's worth it. Lol, my TBR is ridiculous. :D

      Ooh, I'll have to look into that series! Speaking of TBR piles . . . XD

      Yes, I probably shouldn't be writing extensive lists. :D So many books, so little time! Glad I could recommend some!

      Brianna

      Delete
  6. I haven't heard of most of these books but I have read The Little White Horse , and I think it's an amazing book.
    -Quinley

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes, it was my absolute favorite for years, and it's still right up there! The story is so well done, don't you think?

      Brianna

      Delete
  7. Elizabeth Goudge is one of my favorite authors :) I'll have to look out for that Rumpelstiltskin book. And Kara's book was wonderful!

    keturahskorner.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Her books are amazing, aren't they? I've always wished that The Little White Horse had a sequel. Yes, it's quite funny. :) It was! I'm so very glad I read it. Thanks for stopping by!

      Brianna

      Delete

Post a Comment

I appreciate your input!

Popular posts from this blog

Book Review - The Hobbit

The Tag That Must Not Be Named

Ordinary People, Extraordinary Stories