Ordinary People, Extraordinary Stories





Characters - they're what drive our stories along and lift them to new heights.  Without characters. there can be no conflict; without conflict, there can be no story.  But, if you think about it, characters are people - ordinary, commonplace, normal people you might meet on the street. 

Everyone has their own personality, so why are characters so often cut from the same molds?  Tolkien's elves have popped up in dozens, hundreds, of different incarnations, and his dwarves are nearly as popular.  Why can't our elves be bright blue, thirteen feet tall, deaf, and covered in pink mud?  Why can't our dwarves have four legs and suddenly have to go in search of the remedy for itchy noses and patchy ear hair?  (That was all off the top of my head, so . . .)

We don't need to follow any expectations for our characters.  As a matter of fact, the most intriguing real fictional people don't meet any lists of criteria; they make the lists.  And then we have twenty books with perfect copies of the hero(ine) of that one bestseller.  This isn't the way to find inspiration!  




Give your characters characteristics.  Maybe that one girl can never stop scratching the back of her neck because she has a rash caused by a microchip, or that mentor character only has one leg because of a rash decision involving a kitchen stove and a cat.  My point is: stop writing characters the way you think they should be written.  Write them like real people instead.  None of your friends are one-dimensional.  Why should your fictional friends be any different? 

If your character is complicated, they're much truer to life.  And everyone has their quirks, failings, and routines.  Let your character leap off the page in vivid color, and your readers will thank you.  Envision your characters and add the ingredients that make them real.




Have you ever seen a person?  We all have, of course, but I mean really seen.  Have you looked deep into their eyes and heart to find the real soul hiding there, or have you taken them at face value?  It's easy to believe the image they're presenting, but superficial judgments won't get us anywhere.  It's the same idea with characters.  You have to dig deep into their person, their motivations, their life, their head.  And that's hard! 


Characters don't stand up ready-made and spill their entire life story to you.  No, you stand up, create that character, and then write her a backstory that turns her into a real person.  Someone with all the fears, loves, insecurities, hopes, and dreams that make us who we are.  And then, you have a character.  


Brianna


Comments

  1. Amazing and so true!! We need to stop copying other characters and branch out with out own. Great post, Brianna!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks so much, Ivie! I'm glad you enjoyed it.

      Brianna

      Delete
  2. I need to know more about this kitchen stove and cat incident...sounds like my style of cooking. XD


    But this: "stop writing characters the way you think they should be written. Write them like real people instead." YES!! I'm slowly learning this...sometimes the way to make cool characters is write them not so cool (i.e. different from the stereotypical cool).

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I have a sinking feeling that this will become a plot bunny. XD It's also a lot like my style of cooking - I always manage to spill flour all over everything.

      This sentence is totally from personal experience. My first "novel" had terrible characters, because I was trying to make them perfect people who never struggled with anything. In writing, as in life, I think we're drawn more to the unique characters. Let's make "uncool" the cool thing to do!

      Brianna

      Delete
    2. That's better than me...I have actually blown up our oven before. Not kidding. A bright light, a loud POP and we had to microwave the rest of the banana pudding and buy a new oven.

      When I first started, my characters were all the same - a high-strung girl (who was either a big sissy who was scared of everything and couldn't do anything, or was a tough, don't-need-no-help kind of girl), and a dark-haired, quiet guy with anger issues. Seriously...every book. But now I've been able to break away from that and write more realistic and complex characters.

      Delete
    3. BTW, I did tag you in my most recent post! http://juliandaventrymemories.blogspot.com/2018/02/the-seven-seven-seven-seven-challenge.html

      Delete
    4. That is hilarious - and seriously impressive! I've never done that, but a friend of mine once melted a rug while baking.

      My first characters were terrible caricatures of Tolkien's elves. It's embarrassing to look back at that story . . . XD

      I saw that! Thanks so much. I'll do it as soon as I can!

      Brianna

      Delete
  3. Gahhh, this is sooooo important to remember. Especially that we should not base characters on one person or archtype. *GUILTY*

    Heehee, I'm messy in the kitchen too....I spill everything everywhere. Everybody knows when I've been in the kitchen, LOL. I like that particular character bunny :)

    Awesome post, Brianna!

    Catherine
    catherinesrebellingmuse.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yep! I wrote it because this is one of my main struggles, actually. Oh yes, so true. I've had to avoid basing characters off people I know in real life - it just doesn't work for me. *ALSO GUILTY*

      Oh good, it's not just me! Typically, I leave a trail of flour and powdered sugar everywhere. :D I do too! Maybe someday . . .

      Thanks!

      Brianna

      Delete
  4. This is such a good reminder--thank you! Great job on this post. <3

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks for reading and commenting! You're very much appreciated.

      Brianna

      Delete
  5. As more of a poet than a book writer , My writing is not exactly the type of writing this post would normally apply
    To BUT, my long poems that also tell a short story can kind of apply to your post. The characters in my long ballad type poetry they need to be able to be understood and they need to be get to known. I write very little other than poetry as of now but maybe one day I will pick writing books back up.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Good point. I dabble in poetry too, and I've found it's often more about ideas, themes, and expression than characters.

      Yes, you definitely need strong characters in epic ballads! Otherwise, the ballad doesn't go so well . . .

      Thanks for stopping by, Evan!

      Brianna

      Delete
  6. I agree 100% - stereotypes bother me so much. <3

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. They bug me too - why don't some authors put more thought into their characters?

      Brianna

      Delete
  7. I love this! Especially when you gave suggestions to redefine dwarves and elves. *nodnod* BESIDES, why use dwarves and elves when you could make up a brand-new kind of creature, with a brand-new, nonsensical name. Something no one's EVER SEEN BEFORE. Sounds more fun to me!! :D

    Great post, Brianna!

    Lila @ The Red-Hooded Writer

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Glad you do! Ooh, that's a great idea!!! Then you don't have to worry about all the stereotypes . . . I'm getting all sorts of ideas. What a wonderful concept! Sounds more fun to me, too. :D

      Thanks, Lila!

      Brianna

      Delete
  8. I definitely agree! I love people watching and noticing their little quirks. It's great character inspiration. :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Me too! (Except, of course, when they catch me staring.) Oh, for sure. I totally didn't model my villain after someone I know . . . XD

      Brianna

      Delete

Post a Comment

I appreciate your input!

Popular posts from this blog

Book Review - The Hobbit

The Tag That Must Not Be Named