12 Angry Men




12 Angry Men by Brianna Stacyn

I think every young writer (old ones too, for that matter!) should be required to watch this movie as a study in characters.  With almost no content concerns (one usage of d---, a few racial slurs, shown as wrong and bigoted) and ninety minutes of sheer amazing development while twelve men sit in the same room, it's one of the best movies I've ever watched.

First of all, the entire movie, except the first three minutes, takes place in a jury room.  90 minutes in the same room!  After watching this movie, I've begun to wonder if a lot of movement through different settings is good.  Sometimes, I think it comes of the expense of character movement.  I know I've read books and watched movies where the characters are constantly getting into new predicaments, but they never really change.  (Looking at you on this, Pirates of the Caribbean. 😊)  This movie, though, has the best character development of any I've ever seen.

One thing I would urge you to pay attention to in this movie is the way backstories are subtly worked in.  Every little revelation of the jurors' outside lives is important, but it isn't dumped on you all at once.  Not all of the time in the jury room is spent discussing the case; there is plenty of extra conversation.  The juror who works in advertising talks about his job, the avid sports fan complains that he'll miss his game, and the juror who runs a messenger service mentions his estranged son.  All of these points, however, come into play later in the movie.  No detail is missing, but no threads are left hanging.

Something else I want to mention: how well-developed all the characters are.  Almost every character is three-dimensional, although some are a little less fleshed out.  It's very easy to tell the characters apart simply by their personalities, and they are so realistic.  It's interesting to hear what they have to say, because it all fits with their character.  Absolutely every line adds to our conception of the character.

Even while each line builds characters, it advances the plot.  At just over ninety minutes, this movie doesn't have a whole lot of time to waste on unimportant points, so the action moves pretty quickly.  Of course, the action is mostly mental - arguments, new points, and doubt about the guilt of the accused.  However, there are very few low moments.  The interaction between the characters is tension-filled throughout, and the egos and personalities throw sparks as they clash.

Finally, the conclusion is ultimately satisfying.  The quick denouement reflects reality: outside the jury room, their arguments aren't that important.  But it feels empty . . . wrong, somehow.  The characters seem to know this too, as they reluctantly leave to begin their normal lives again.  It makes you wonder what effect those ninety minutes in a jury room will have on the rest of their lives.

So, I'd like to encourage you to watch this movie, if you haven't already.  It's wonderful!  A few questions:

Have you seen this movie?  If not, would you watch it?
What experience do you have with trials/juries/lots of arguing?  (Siblings don't count.)

Brianna



Comments

  1. That sounds interesting! I’ve never heard of this movie before, but maybe I should look into it. ^_^

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I think it's really good! You definitely should - it's totally worth it.

      Brianna

      Delete
  2. Wow, I've never even heard of this movie, I'm going to have to check it out! :D

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Well, it is from 1957, so . . . that's justifiable. Hope you enjoy it! :D

      Brianna

      Delete
  3. I've never heard of 12 Angry Men before, but it sounds interesting.
    -Quinley

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I find it really interesting - the characters are so good! I'm glad I could tell you about it.

      Brianna

      Delete
  4. I HAVE watched this movie!! It's definitely one of my absolute favorites!!

    I totally agree with you on the characterization. It is SO GOOD.

    Catherine
    catherinesrebellingmuse.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yay, a fellow watcher!! :D Mine too, unquestionably. I fell in love with it the first time, and I've only liked it more since.

      Personally, I think that's the best part of the movie. When Juror 7 calls Juror 2 "Killer" . . . I always lose it. They're all so well played, though!!

      Brianna

      Delete
  5. I've never heard of this movie before, but it sounds quite interesting! Thanks for telling us about it! =)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I didn't realize how obscure it is, apparently. :D You're quite welcome, and thanks for commenting!

      Brianna

      Delete
  6. I...haven't heard of this before. Which is really, really disappointing, considering I pride myself on my classic movie knowledge. Black and white AND fantastic character development? Sounds like a keeper.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You must remedy this immediately! :D I think you'll probably like it, if you enjoy classic movies. You'll have to tell me what you think! (And it's definitely a keeper! :D )

      Brianna

      Delete

Post a Comment

I appreciate your input!

Popular posts from this blog

Book Review - The Hobbit

The Tag That Must Not Be Named

Ordinary People, Extraordinary Stories